I can’t believe I get to write this Reads & Things Sunday post (only 5 days late but whatever) from our new home in South Carolina! If you remember a couple weeks ago I mentioned that we were hoping to close on a home here – and we did. We still have a lot of work to do before this house is truly our “home” but I know it will be fun getting there (especially creating some of my favorite areas like the reading space for AJ and our family). This time here has already inspired me so much – and has really given me a reason to pause and think about how I want to spread my message more, how I want to be more purposeful with my time as a parent and how I really want this business and The Intentional Bookshelf to become something every parent strives for. I hope these next few months I get the chance to get to know you, my community more, and likewise I want you to get to know me. These weekly posts are a great way to get a look into our life as intentional parents and avid readers.
Reads & Things Sunday
What we’ve been reading and loving this week. Disclaimer: this post contains affiliate links. If you choose to purchase anything through my link I will receive a small commission, but at no extra cost to you.
- Snuggle Puppy by Sandra Boynton – True to Sandra Boynton fashion, this book has such a rhythmic and musical cadence to it; it’s hard to put down. Boynton has recently become one of our favorite authors so I checked out her site, and I have to say it made me laugh out loud a bit. That woman really has some personality – super quirky and well suited for children’s literature.
- Oh The Places You’ll Go by Dr. Seuss – We totally jumped on the bandwagon of parents who are buying their children this book, having all of their child’s influencers sign it as their kid grows up and then giving it to them on when they graduate. My husband was super excited about this idea, and I was pumped that we were planning a long term goal for the next 18 years that included a children’s book. I know Addison will for sure appreciate it, and how cool that the one we bought came in a fancy case from Barnes and Noble (see, totally trendy). Since we were moving we absolutely had to grab it to have Addison’s sweet babysitter and other important people sign it before we left.
- Into the Water by Paula Hawkins – I finally finished Girl on the Train and as soon as I finished it I was itching for another book by this author. I rated that book highly on our Goodreads and was stoked to find out she had another book. So far, Into The Water is similar to her other book in that it includes multiple perspectives and has that same “thriller” vibe to it, but this story is one that feels less ordinary. Spoiler alert: it has to do with water (surprise, surprise).
- I would have to say by far the biggest thing we are loving right now is the fact that Daddy is home! We picked him up from the airport a couple weeks ago and my baby girl was smiling from ear to ear. I was happy all of our virtual reading sessions and long FaceTime calls were not in vain – my two favorite people reconnected in a heartbeat! Since he’s been home we’ve been running around moving but now that we are officially home we can truly begin to come together as a family. It’s been a joy spending each and every day together again, I can’t ask for more than to have my parenting and life partner back!
- Speaking of moving, I have to say we are so grateful to have our home. We bought this house without seeing it in person, at all (talk about trusting the Lord to provide!). It was scary, and as we drove up towards the neighborhood I prayed as hard as I could that we didn’t make a horrible decision, but I am so happy to report we absolutely love our house. With huge windows, a lovely view of the lagoon and a sizable backyard, this truly will be a place of inspiration and love.
- This seems simple, but bubbles are everything to us right now. We don’t care how we get them, we want bubbles all the time. Some of our favorite bubble tools are: a bubble gun (not this one but it’s so cute), huge scented bubble wands and a bubble machine! Have I said the word “bubble” enough?
- I have been wanting to comment about this for a while but never found the place. Moana has captured our hearts! We sing the songs all day, and the sentiments from the movie have been integrated into our parenting (follow your heart, be bold and brave, say you’re welcome!). I’m not sure why but I was hesitant about the movie at first, but I have to say I have seen it several times now and each time I watch it I fall more in love. I can’t even decide who my favorite character is (I have a feeling AJ likes Moana the best).