Sigh. Last week in my Reads & Things Sunday post I talked about how I like to do these on Sunday (or in the beginning of the week at least) because it makes me pause and feel grateful for things in my life. I feel like I was foreshadowing to the future – that I needed to feel grateful. This last week has been brutal. My sweet Addison was so so sick, it broke my heart. Between multiple trips to the ER, several different diagnoses, a week long fever (spiking at 105!!), a swollen face, blood tests…the works…she is finally starting to feel better. I felt like I was tested last week, and it is so fitting that it is right before my husband reunites with us. It’s like the universe is giving me one final test to surpass – but we made it. So for this week’s Reads & Things Sunday I am going to be pretty brief and to the point so I can get back to cuddling my sweetie who is finally becoming herself again.
Reads & Things Sunday
What we’ve been reading and loving this week. Disclaimer: this post contains affiliate links. If you choose to purchase anything through my link I will receive a small commission, but at no extra cost to you.
- Peekaboo! by Hayley Down. We have been obsessed with this book since Addison was a baby. The mirror is just so fun to play with and we love to point out all the adorable parts on AJ as compared to the animals in the book. Actually, this book was one of the first ones we reviewed on this blog! Since she’s been sick, it’s been nice to read a comfort book. We haven’t read much this past week because she wanted to do nothing but sleep and cuddle, but we did manage to grab this one a few times for a quick reading session.
- I’m still loving my Powersheets by Lara Casey! I have been steadily adding to and tracking my goals and it’s been amazing not only for productivity but for my mindset. It’s nice to have a set amount of things I am working on instead of feeling like I have to accomplish everything right now.
- I am also still working through Present Over Perfect by Shauna Niequist. I have to say it’s been a little slow getting into it, I’m ready to get into some actionable things. I love how she integrates stories in, but it’s all a bit abstract for me at the moment. I need concrete steps maybe?
- I went on a beautiful hike with my coworkers in Point Loma, San Diego to the Cabrillo National Monument. It was a short 2 mile hike (very easy on the knees and hips which is important for me ever since I had AJ!). If you are ever in the San Diego area it is so worth it, plus it’s been insanely hot in So Cal and it was nice to be along the coast with a breezy 70.
- Addison has been loving the swimming pool! We have been with my parents during our transition to moving and she has been in and out of that thing all Summer long with my siblings (who are quite young compared to me). It’s a small blow up elephant pool with a slide, and it is perfect for younger kids and even comfortable enough for adults to dip their feet in to cool off. Did I mention it was 106 F today? Yikes.
- I received my Sparkle, Hustle, Grow box last week and it’s off the chain! It’s a subscription box for female entrepreneurs created by my good friend Julie. I was so impressed with the way it was put together and all of the goodies inside. I love the fact that each one is actionable and focused on a specific topic. As much as I love cute little desk accessories, it’s nice that everything has a true purpose (which helps maintain the minimalist lifestyle I am trying to achieve).
- I have to have a bonus – my hubby will be home SOON – we are seriously in the single digits. I can’t wait to give him a big squeeze and watch him embrace AJ. We made him some welcome home signs to surprise him and I know he’ll just love them.
What have you been reading and doing this week?
Tell me below in the comments all the books you’ve been reading, things you have been doing and what you are grateful for today! I love hearing about it.